ScreenPlayLab

ScreenPlayLab is more than 3,800 upbeat producers, actors, writers, directors, agents and executives helping each other in their careers at studios and networks.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Pitch Contest kudos


I get interesting emails, mostly in support, some with
questions, and a couple that are cranky. I've focused on
responding to the people writing who have questions about
the Pitch Contest, and I'd like to take time now to
acknowledge the many notes in support I've received.

The first two notes I have to share are about Inside Pitch
sessions from before ScreenplayLab existed, a tribute to
Christopher Lockhart:

"It was an incredible experience. We sat in the audience
where we listened, laughed and found ourselves inspired. We
were inspired the way a good studio meeting makes you
inspired. The thing is, we never even pitched. We were
inspired by the potential in that room which was
intoxicating. Christopher Lockhart was equal parts comedian,
producer, and story/structure guru."

"I know Christopher Lockhart. More than anyone else in the
biz, he helped me hone my ability to pitch. He's everything
they say, and more."

Thank you to everyone for the many notes I received
supporting ScreenplayLab:

"Good for you. In so many ways!"

"I think you deserve a big congrats. Many of us are the shy
quiet writer types that never get around to saying thank you.
Thank you for this even and for all the other Sundays."

"Keep up the good work!"

"You've accomplished a lot in a short amount of time!"

"You guys rock! I love what you're doing and what you've
done."

"Thank you and I do so very much believe in what you two
are doing and want to be part of it."

"You're AWESOME Robin!! I'm very proud of you, your
integrity, fortitude, vision, and kind heart."

"Why do you rock so much?"

"Your commitment is inspiring."

"I do believe that any kind of pitch opportunity should
be prized and golden."

"I'm excited about hearing all the pitches"

"I was amazed at how much you guys do FOR FREE!! You guys
are doing a good thing, that's why so many people show up
week after week. Even if you guys NEVER did any free stuff,
I would pay the $20 just because it sounds like a great
event and a wonderful learning opportunity for me. Keep
doing the right stuff."

"I want to wish you and Gabrielle all the best with the
Pitch Contest. I am still in Australia and cannot be there,
which is very disappointing to me."

"I love all your info about your pitchfest."

"Thank you for your continuing efforts to inform and aid
screenwriters."

"Good job and keep up the good work."

Of course, there was one email that expressed a different
view:

"With all due respect - ENOUGH ALREADY. How many emails
am I going to get about this event?"

For anyone looking forward to Sunday because then the
event will be over and the emails about the Pitch Contest
will end, don't forget I promised to share the *results*.
;-)

Many emails, which I'm not going to quote, were ANGRY
toward the skeptics. Some took it personally that people
are questioning what ScreenplayLab is about. Here's what I
said to one upset ScreenplayLab fan:

> Thank you! That's very kind of you to say about me. You
> have a lot of heart. Just FYI, nobody is attacking me
> personally. It's ok that some people are confused to
> encounter something new and trying to understand it by
> relating it to something they already experienced. My
> response to skeptics is not a defense but seeking
> clarity."

She wrote me back to say she hadn't looked at it that way
and felt a lot better.

It's still possible to sign up online for tomorrow's event
for $20 from our website. We have about 80 seats filled,
which means there are still 80 left. I'm going to turn off
online registration tonight. It will be possible to
purchase tickets at the gate for $25.

See you Sunday!

Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home