ScreenPlayLab

ScreenPlayLab is more than 3,800 upbeat producers, actors, writers, directors, agents and executives helping each other in their careers at studios and networks.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Are there 160 people in ScreenplayLab serious in their intention
to become a successful highly paid screenwriter? I think there
are, that the only reason the ScreenplayLab Pitch Contest hasn't
sold out yet is that I didn't explain it right. If you're a
struggling screenwriter you can change your life in three hours
on Sunday, October 15th. Let me to tell you how.

As a screenwriter I've had an agent for a year. Before I had an
agent I was great at getting execs and producers to meet with
me. I thought I was doing fine without an agent. I was telling
my friends that I can make it happen without an agent, just
have an entertainment attorney handle the contracts. Let me
tell you how I found out what an idiot I'd been.

Shortly after I signed with my agent, I noticed a story in the
Hollywood Reporter about a new production company. The article
described what they wanted and a script I was working on seemed
a good match. So I called. I asked, "Are you seeking scripts?"
Her: "No, we're not seeking anything. We don't accept
unsolicited material." Me: "Oh, this won't be unsolicited. I'll
have my agent submit it." Her: audible gulp and long pause then,
"In that case we're looking at everything." In that moment it
hit me what a difference an agent makes, that even using my
power of personal persuasion the meeting would have been a cold
unwelcoming encounter without the validation of having an agent.
In this town you're not respected as a screenwriter without an
agent.

So, you need an agent. How do you get one? Surprisingly, that's
an easy question. By referral. Someone who has a relationship
with an agent recommends you. Ok, where does an unknown
screenwriter find an angel willing to provide a life-changing
reference to an agent? Right here. I'm a strong believer in
self-selection. I believe we'll have the best unknown
screenwriters in the room on Sunday, and guided by an expert
(host ICM Executive Story Editor Christopher Lockhart) the
three top unknown screenwriters will select themselves by
presenting great pitches in front of our live studio audience.
After Chris picks the three winners based on audience applause,
I've arranged for those winners to later meet with agents.

So why would an agent want to meet the winners of the
ScreenplayLab Pitch Contest? To the agent this is an
opportunity to meet the three best unknown screenwriters in
Hollywood. Let me tell you, that's who an agent wants to meet!
Imagine a meeting where the agent is excited to meet you. This
agent meeting isn't a pitchfest cattle call, where you
speed-date your way through a room hoping your pitch catches
someone's attention. The winners will meet with agents at
their offices. You'll get to ask an agent for one-on-one advice
on your career. The agent will tell you what they need from you
to make you a commercial success. If you follow the agent's
advice the agent will probably sign you. Then your career can
really begin. Working screenwriters (that is, most members of
the WGA) make over $100k per year.

If you're one of the best unknown screenwriters in Hollywood
don't miss Sunday. Tickets are available online and only cost
$20. We've sold a lot already, but there are still many left.
The room only has 160 seats. When they're gone, they're gone.

See you Sunday!

Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home